Date: 21 June 2013
Yesterday I had to upgrade MySQL 5.1 on one of my Clients server, its pretty simple.... At least after going through many poets and links.... breaking few things and make them work again... Really after I did it... it was pretty simple.. Ok... so u don't trust me... You be the judge here...
here we go...
First we we need to add EPEL Repos
Then we need to run Yum
and Voila its done
1) mkdir downloads -- create a directory to download the files
2) cd downloads -- go into the created directory
3) wget http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Fedora//epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm -- download the EPEL repo release installer
4) rpm -Uvh epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm -- Upgrade it else replace -Uvh with -ivh to Install it.
5) if MySQL is already installed then stop the service -- command to stop the service: service mysqld stop
6) yum --enablerepo=remi,remi-test upgrade mysql mysql-server --skipp-broken -- this will only install/upgrade all the dependencies and will avoid breaking any thing else which is working, playing save eah..
7) after checking the list what is being upgraded if all green pres Y to continue
8) wait for 10-30 minutes depending on your machine config & network usage
9) when completed run the command: service mysqld start
10) now your mysql is upgraded from 5.1 to 5.6
Told ya..... it was simple.. Happy Querying...